January 22, 2014
Camp Counselors Job Openings
We are looking for some special people to join our staff this summer. If you feel you may be that person please review the job description and apply today.
Position: SUMMER CAMP COUNSELOR
Description: The Cora Hartshorn Arboretum (CHA) is looking for enthusiastic camp counselors for our Nature Discovery Camp program. This is a hands-on, field position that involves teaching and managing campers in outdoor, environmental, and recreational activities. Summer Camp Counselors must be committed to work with the CHA staff for a minimum of 3 weeks and should expect a Monday to Friday schedule.
Dates: June 30 - August 22, 2014
Location: Cora Hartshorn Arboretum, Short Hills, NJ 07078
Responsibilities: include but are not limited to:
- Teaching weekly themed, preapproved curriculum to campers between 3-5 years; 6-8 years; or 9-11 years of age.
- Lead and supervise outdoor activities relevant to the Nature Discovery Camp weekly themes.
- Lead and supervise craft activities relevant to the Nature Discovery Camp weekly themes.
- Daily maintenance of education and outdoor equipment and materials.
- Daily set-up and clean-up of classroom space and program materials.
Requirements: Working towards a degree in Environmental Science, Education, Biology, Botany, Forestry or related field. Must be comfortable spending a lot of time outdoors; Must have a basic knowledge of outdoor recreation and natural sciences; Must be capable of managing a group of 6 to 10 children. Some knowledge in New Jersey ecology and natural history, crafts in nature, orienteering, hiking/backpacking, floral and fauna identification is a plus. First aid and CPR certification a plus (CHA can provide certification if necessary).
Salary: This is a salaried position, according to length of summer employment agreement. Salaried paid on a monthly basis and Workman's Compensation Insurance provided to all staff.
or 324 Forest Drive South, Short Hills, NJ 07078
• Must pass a child abuse clearance and criminal background screening.
• First Aid and CPR trained or complete training and certification within 60 days of employment start date.
• Must be able to lift 50 lbs. and stand and/or walk for long periods on trails
• Must have a valid driver’s license
• We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
No phone calls please.